Information for Japanese Nationals planning a trip to Antarctica

If you are traveling with an IAATO tour operator that is authorized by a Treaty Party country other than Japan, you are required to notify the Ministry of the Environment before your trip. No individual permit is required; just the notification to the Ministry of the Environment before your trip to Antarctica.

Information requested in the notification includes:

  • Your name(s) and mailing address.
  • The name of the tour operator and the Treaty Party country that has authorized the trip and tourism activity. 
  • The name of the vessel or aircraft that will be used to enter in the Antarctic Treaty Area. Include the registry of the vessel or flight number.
  • Place of departure (e.g. Ushuaia, Argentina).
  • The length of your intended visit to Antarctica (e.g. the period of Antarctic activity).
  • The general area – including latitude and longitude – of your intended activity; be as specific as possible (e.g. for most tours of the Antarctic Peninsula, "Antarctic Peninsula, 60 degrees to 67 degrees south, 50 degrees to 80 degrees west" will suffice).
  • Any other information that you believe is appropriate or helpful.

Please read the documents noted further down below. Your notification should be sent to:

Antarctic Conservation Section
Biodiversity Policy Division
Nature Conservation Bureau
Japanese Ministry of the Environment
Phone: +81-3-5521-8343
Fax: +81-3-3591-3228

Procedures for Travel to Antarctica (Japanese nationals and those living in Japan) 

Rules for Going to Antarctica - Japanese

Information for Japanese Nationals traveling to Antarctica