Mark your calendars for 02-May thru 06-May-2016 for IAATO 2016 in Newport, Rhode Island.
Newport, in all it's splendor can be seen in this video.
02 May: Committee Meetings, Side Meetings, Evening Icebreaker
03 May: Meeting Day 1 (Members, Associates and Affiliates only)
04 May: Meeting Day 2 (Morning session: Members, Associates and Affiliates only. Afternoon session: Open for all invitees)
05 May Meeting Day 3 (Open session for all invitees) Meeting concludes in afternoon.
06 May: Workshop (see below)
The annual meeting and workshop will be held at the Hotel Viking in Newport, Rhode Island.
A draft agenda will be available here.
Pre-registration for IAATO 2016
The online registration form can now be accessed, so please go to IAATO 2016 Registration. If you don't yet have all the information requested (e.g. name of your hotel, arrival/departure dates), please return and fill it in later. Only those who have registered will be allowed to participate in the meeting.
IAATO has a block of rooms at the Deluxe Hotel Viking in Newport, Rhode Island.
1 Bellevue Avenue
Newport, Rhode Island 02840
Reservations: +1-800-556-7126 (toll free USA)
Per night rate is $169.00 plus 13% tax.
To make reservations directly online for the Hotel Viking Click here
The Hotel Viking offers:
- Free WiFi in the guest rooms and lobby.
- Seasonal welcome beverage upon arrival.
- Use of fitness center, pool and Jacuzzi.
- In Room coffee.
- In Room safe.
Breakfast is not included in the room rates.
We have a limited number of guest rooms and when our block is booked up, further rooms and room rates will be based on availability through general reservations. All non-reserved rooms will be released back to general reservations on 31-March-2015.
Note: The IAATO block of rooms will be held until the 31st of March, after which time the IAATO online reservation link above will no longer be accessible, and the rate no longer guaranteed.
For additional information or questions about the hotel, contact IAATO Office Manager Laura Goldstein.
The annual dinner reception will be held at the Castle Hill Inn on Wednesday, the 4th of May. The dinner is complimentary for the first two guests per member. Others may attend if pre-registered and at a cost of US$100.00 per guest.
Further details will be forthcoming.
Workshop - Friday, 06 May (09:00-13:30)
Following the publication of the new GSGSSI Strategy, the GSGSSI are considering the ways to implement this plan. They will be running a workshop on visitor management on South Georgia with a view to getting operator perspectives on questions that they are posing regarding:
- Are the current site access arrangements appropriate - how many sites should be accessible to visitors and where should these be?
- Are there some activities that should be limited to certain sites?
- Is there an upper limit to the number of visitors that can be accommodated at any given site and how can this be assessed?
- How can visitor management be integrated into the new system of Protected Areas?
This is a very important opportunity for operators to feedback into the systemand help create practical, sensible solutions. We look forward to your participation.
The latest version of various meeting documents, proposals and reports will be posted here. We encourage all members to download these documents to your desktop for easy access during the meeting. These documents will not be provided in hard copy at the meeting itself.
Newport, Rhode Island is conveniently located in the heart of New England and is easily reached by car, train, bus or boat! Newport is accessible from all major public transportation hubs in the region and once you get here; our downtown is best discovered by foot. Please click here for transfer information.
- From T.F. Green Airport (Providence) - scheduled shuttle service with Orange Cab. Information can be found here: http://newportshuttle.com/schedules-rates/
- Metered taxi service and Private Motor Vehicle services are offered by Orange Cab. Information can be found on their website: http://newportcabs.com/services/
- Public bus service from/to Boston Logan Airport to Newport can be found here