Press enter to search

Information for Japanese Nationals

For Japanese nationals visiting Antarctica the procedure for obtaining the appropriate permits is slightly different.

If you are traveling with an IAATO tour operator that is authorized by a Treaty Party country other than Japan, you are required to notify the Ministry of the Environment before your trip. No individual permit is required; just the notification to the Ministry of the Environment before your trip to Antarctica.

Information requested in the notification includes:

  • Your name(s) and mailing address.
  • The name of the tour operator and the Treaty Party country that has authorized the trip and tourism activity.
  • The name of the vessel or aircraft that will be used to enter in the Antarctic Treaty Area. Include the registry of the vessel or flight number.
  • Place of departure (e.g. Ushuaia, Argentina).
  • The length of your intended visit to Antarctica (e.g. the period of Antarctic activity).
  • The general area – including latitude and longitude – of your intended activity; be as specific as possible (e.g. for most tours of the Antarctic Peninsula, “Antarctic Peninsula, 60 degrees to 67 degrees south, 50 degrees to 80 degrees west” will suffice).
  • Any other information that you believe is appropriate or helpful.

Your notification should be sent to:

Antarctic Conservation Section
Biodiversity Policy Division
Nature Conservation Bureau
Japanese Ministry of the Environment
Phone: +81-3-5521-8343
Fax: +81-3-3591-3228

Visit the website